3.3 – Homeostasis
Pages 83 – 87 of the CGP revision notes.
- What is the definition of “homeostasis”?
- What are the six things which need to be controlled?
- What steps are involved in preserving / losing body heat?
- What is the role of the kidneys in regulating: urea, ions, water?
- What is found in sports drinks?
- Is there any evidence that they rehydrate the body better than water?
- Describe the structure of a kidney nephron.
- How do ultrafiltration and reabsorption contribute to the formation of urine?
- How do dialysis machines work?
- What are the dis/advantages of a kidney transplant compared to a dialysis machine?
- How do insulin / glucagon affect the glucose level of the blood?
- What is type 1 diabetes and how can it be treated?