3.1 – Osmosis and exchange
Pages 73 – 78 of the CGP revision notes.
- What is the definition of “osmosis”?
- How does osmosis work?
- How does osmosis affect cells in water / strong solutions?
- How would does affect strips of plant material in water / strong solutions?
- How does active transport differ from diffusion?
- Give examples of diffusion, osmosis and active transport in plants and animals.
- How is a leaf adapted to let gases diffuse in and out of cells?
- Label a diagram of the lungs.
- Explain the main steps in breathing in / out.
- How does modern artificial ventilation of the lungs differ from the old “iron lung”??
- How are the air sacs of the lungs adapted to maximise diffusion?
- How are the small intestines adapted to maximise diffusion of glucose etc?
- How is active transport used by root hairs?
- When / why is active transport used in the intestines?
- What is the function of xylem / phloem in plants?
- What causes transpiration? How does it draw water up a plant?