2.5 – DNA, genetics and evolution
Pages 61 – 71 of the CGP revision notes.
- What do genes do?
- What is a DNA fingerprint and how is it used?
- What is mitosis? Where what is it used for?
- What is meiosis? How does it work?
- What are stem cells? How may they be used? Why do some people oppose this?
- How is the sex of a baby determined?
- What do these terms mean: gene, allele, dominant, recessive, homozygous, heterozygous,genotype, phenotype.
- Draw a genetic diagram to show the result of a cross between two heterozygous parents.
- How does the inheritance of cystic fibrosis differ from that of polydactyly?
- What are the pros / cons of genetic screening?
- How can family trees be used to show inheritance of a gene through generations?
- Three ways in which fossils form?
- Why doesn’t the fossil record tell us everything about evolution?
- What are the causes of extinction?
- Explain speciation (using “isolation” and “natural selection”)?